In early August, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton made a visit to Abuja on her rock star tour of Africa. It was a crazy time for us at the Embassy, making final preparations for the visit and adjusting to her ever changing schedule. It was exciting for her to visit, but also a little comical. The Nigerians were just SO excited to meet a Clinton. I'm still amazed that everywhere I travel to, everyone just LOVES the Clintons. Their pictures are hung up all over the Embassies, the streets are named after them, there is a Clinton Foundation in Abuja...the Clinton mania is just insane!! I get that they did a lot for foreign diplomacy, but there is only one thing I think of when I think of the Clinton's..., but I digress.
During the visit, I was able to help out with the Secretariat's office at the hotel where she stayed. That was fun! I got to experience the perks of the Executive Lounge as well as see a few more glimpses of the Secretary as she arrived for the evening. I also found it humorous to learn that she "rejected" her room order service of salmon...apparently she was too full from the hummus she had earlier in the day. All in all, it was a great visit. Her stern words on Nigeria's governance and the rampant corruption were accepted fairly well. And luckily, there were no questions remotely regarding Bill Clinton's views :)




No comments:
Post a Comment